Sometimes saying “I love you” is more than those three little words. This August, I will be married 40 years, and come December my husband I will have been together 47 years. We were high school sweethearts who have spent nearly five decades of learning, and laughing, and loving this life we have created. What I have learned over these many years is that “I love you” in many unstated ways.
Here are some of the ways my husband tells me he loves me without uttering those three little words.
- shopping for groceries
- cooking dinner every night
- filling my car with gas each week
- making sure the doors are locked at night
- calling me on his break at work
- doing laundry
- sharing our favorite stories over and over
- always supporting my dreams
- being my biggest cheerleader
- telling me to have a good day every morning
- telling me to be careful when I go out
I am sure that there are many more that aren’t coming to mind right now. I always say that I am not high maintenance, but I am treated like a princess, and I definitely married a prince.